Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Farewell to 2013

I realize I haven't blogged in a while, but here is an update!

Concerning my last blog: I did not last 6 months, I lasted about 6 weeks. Maybe. I had a long talk with my Branch President and alleviated a lot of pressure I had put on myself. I want to be clear, however, that I do not take back ANYTHING I said in my post about being a part of the Mormon Culture.

Tonight is New Year's Eve for 2013.

I know that I blogged the New Years of 2011 and my life was in a hugely different place than it is now. But I did like that I sort of talked about the top ten moments, for me, of that year. I would like to share with you all the top 10 moments/events of 2013.

1. Started dating Adam:
    I start with this first because it both happened in Jan/Feb and has influenced my life greatly. Adam is a great guy, and I feel lucky to go through our ups and our downs together.
2. Was retained at TBJUSD for another year:
    I was told when I applied for this job that it was only promised for another year. I am lucky that we pulled the Music Program at TBJUSD from getting cut!!! Thank you to you all for your support!
3. My HS Band played for Continuation HS Graduation, 8th Grade Promotion AND THS Graduation:
   This was a HUGE deal to me and my kiddos. Any school with a Band should have one that is able to play at Graduation - and Tulelake High School now has a great Band to help add culture and support throughout the campus.
4. Changed the 4th Grade Music Curriculum from Violin to Keyboard:
    I haven't tuned a Violin at TES since April. And I'm TOTALLY okay with that.
5. Went to Alan, Texas and participated in a Rook Tournament:
    Even though my sister and cousin won and were somewhat obnoxious, I'm glad that Granny and I were able to team up and .... get dealt the worst cards ON THE FREAKING PLANET!!!
6. Moved to Malin, Oregon:
    I feel like a member of the Lower Klamath Basin and that my life isn't cut so in half. I've been able to do a lot of enriching things because I live here.
7. My HS Band went from 14 - 28 kiddos:
    If you're a music person you understand the monumental achievement this is.
8. Attended the first SUU Alumni Band Concert:
    And didn't want to murder the current Band Director. Personal growth, people! (Oh, and of course, saw most of my good friends and bought some Pandora Charms)
9. Had a wonderful round of Winter performances:
    As I said before - the TBJUSD music program has gone from promised only for a year to community members and school board members (so I've heard) saying "What can we do to keep her here?" That feels wonderful, and I'm so excited the community is appreciating the music my students have prepared so hard for!
10. Adopted Magnum:
   He's a German Shepherd. And he's mine. And he's a sweet boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment